Our friend Doug Kessler of Velocity Partners has written a lot about the what and the how of B2B marketing, but never the why. In this amazing Slideshare presentation called The Search for Meaning in B2B Marketing, and embedded below, he tackles the question of what makes his career in B2B marketing meaningful.
In addition to the ideas expressed, pay attention to the presentation itself. Presented as a notebook with handwritten notes, sketches and more formal type, this comes across as the simple musings of a creative guy (which Doug certainly is). He really captures the right tone and visual style in this piece. And the voyeuristic quality of reading someone else’s notebook makes it even more fun.
The honesty of Doug’s writing really creates a connection with his audience of B2B marketers. While he is working out meaning in his own career, he hopes that it helps others in the field. My favorite line is:
When you were a kid, you never said, “I want to be a B2B marketer when I grow up.”
You definitely need to check out the whole notebook, but here are the seven things that give his work as a B2B marketer meaning:
1. I like helping companies grow.
2. I Like helping our clients achieve success in their careers.
3. I love working alongside talented, engaged, positive people who also love what they do.
4. I love learning new things.
5. I love work that demands creativity.
6. I like honest work that asks me to build a great case for my client.
7. I like figuring out how the business of business works.
Are there other things that give meaning to your career as a B2B marketer?