According to a B2B social media survey by Pardot, B2B cloud marketing automation software provider, even though 95% of B2B companies report using social media (a number that strikes me as way too high), nearly half of them (42%) have received no leads or can’t attribute any leads generated to social media.
B2B marketers are responsible for generating leads and social media should be part of that process. Using social media for just brand awareness, connecting and engaging is not enough. And it is not what B2B marketers should be spending their time doing. A coordinated plan of blogging with calls to action on every post, and sharing that content on company social media profiles can generate leads.
Other statistics from the study:
- 11% of companies have a formal social media policy
- 55% said contacting a social media-generated sales lead by phone or email is ok
- 48% said the reverse is true and it is ok to respond to phone or email leads via social media
- 100% said it is acceptable to invite a prospect to join a marketer’s online social networks
- 31% said it is acceptable to critique a competitor via social media
How do these numbers compare with your B2B company? Are you able to attribute leads to social media?